We are looking for a Trustee Treasurer to join our board. You will ensure proper financial procedures and records are maintained, and take the lead in ensuring the charity's financial viability.
SMILE group was cofounded in 2011 by two local Mums who had a shared experience of Perinatal Mental Illness. The charity has expanded over the years and now run three peer support groups weekly across East Cheshire, as well as providing counselling sessions for group attendees and 1:1 support for women with Perinatal Mental Illness.
We are looking for a Trustee Treasurer to join our board. The role will have the following general responsibilities,
* Ensure that Smile Group pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
* Ensure that Smile Group applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects (the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are)
* Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
* Monitor the performance and accountability of the co-founders of Smile Group as its key executive leads
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.
Additional duties of the Treasurer
* Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements
* Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs
* Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
* The preparation and presentation of financial reports to the board
* Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
* Ensuring the organisation's compliance with legislation
* Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, e.g. The Charity Commission and/or the registrar of companies
* If external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented
* Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
* Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation
* Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
Applications are invited in the form of a CV and covering letter.
At least 3 years’ experience of financial analysis and budgeting.
Partly or fully qualified Accountant, or with equivalent experience.
Experience of and an understanding of regulations and compliance in terms of financial reporting for charity sector, including charity VAT.
Non-executive or trustee experience on a board of management or similar governing body of an organisation of similar size is desirable
Commitment to the organisation and upholding its values
Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
Good, independent judgement
Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
SMILE group have two Directors who are available to support incoming Trustees along with the rest of the board. Good links are held with CVS through which training on fundraising, safeguarding and Trusteeship are available.
Good links are held with CVS through which training on fundraising, safeguarding and Trusteeship are available.
A full handover is available with the Director currently undertaking the treasurer role for the charity.